Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Old News is New News


Let's backtrack a bit. I quit a pack-a-day smoking habit on February 5th, 2008. Feeling pretty good about my condition and looking for some easy, enjoyable exercise, I started cycling in March and have since put on 1929 miles while taking off 31 pounds. Commuting to work by bike, 15.8 - 20.2 miles per day makes up a good portion of those miles and saves about $6 per day in fuel costs. Through today, the log shows 45 commutes, saving $270 in fuel. I have acquired 3 bikes at a cost of $1595, so its going to take a lot more commuting to make up the difference. Erik at Prairie Cycles was nice enough to hook me up with this steel framed "touring" bike, a 2008 Jamis Aurora, a butter smooth riding bike which is used for daily commuting and in the aforementioned MS 150. In addition, the stable includes an aluminium 2007 LeMond Reno, used mostly for weekend fitness rides, and a steel framed, no suspension, mid 90's, Scott Sandoa which will be used on wet, winter commutes.

6 comments:

SD_pedalpower said...

Saw your bike at the MS ride. Great job on quitting smoking. I have yet to beat this habit.

twinswin said...

I used the patch. It worked better than advertised. By the end of two weeks using the patch, I was done smoking and knew I was done. Great product. I think there was also a 2007 Aurora on the MS ride.

Road Legs said...

cool looking bike

Anonymous said...

Congrats on quitting! I had help when I quit by using the SD Quits line, but no matter how you do it, it is good to do.
Commuting a lot of miles too, wow!
Good on ya!

DIRK said...

Quitting smoking, buying bikes, and losing weight. You're on a roll!!!!! What's next?

twinswin said...

Thanks all.