Monday, August 25, 2008

GPS

The bag of goodies from the MS 150 included a 20% off coupon from Spoke-n-Sport for any "bike accessory". The coupon in my bag was used on the purchase of a Garmin Edge 705 with heart rate and cadence units. Garmin has always had a wonderful product line and to that you can add the Edge 705.
Its a total no brainer to setup. The on-bike info includes at least 3 screens of onscreen data, from mapping to elevation graphs to raw cadence, HR, speed, distance, etc.. After a ride, you can connect it to your computer and upload the data to Garmin/Motion Based. This allows you to see your route and the data recorded by the unit, overlayed on anything from a street map, topo map, google map or even replay your ride via 3D Google Earth. The uploaded files are saved and reviewable from any computer allowing you to see your rides in-depth. For instance. according to the 705, the hill heading up toward the bridge and the switchbacks north of Falls Park on the bike path, consists mostly of 5-6% grades but has a small, short (a few yards) section near the top which the 705 records right at a 7% grade. How the TdF riders can do 10% grades for endless miles and hours is now more amazing to me. You can use the data from the unit to see exactly what your HR, cadence, speed, heading, elevation, grade, split time, etc. is at any given point. If you are thinking of incorporating GPS into your biking, you cannot go wrong with this product.

6 comments:

bikingbrady said...

I have a Forerunner 301 but am thinking about upgrading. Not sure I'd use all the bells an whistles, but I'm debating!

Road Legs said...

Sounds like a cool system

SD_pedalpower said...

Good for you. I don't, yet have all the GPS stuff. I feel sometimes I should be able to use a compass and use my land navigation training and get anywhere I need to. Then again, that's too much work :)

Anonymous said...

I want one! I really don't need one, but I sure want one!

thE_kErnEl said...

take your bike up 7th avenue starting on 38th St. and heading north. you'll get to see a 20%!!

Tez said...

I want one also but I need a new bike first!